In the Tumbling Tides and Rumpus Kings rooms we have a great new STEM resource: ‘Bee-Bot’ the programmable robot.
Directional keys are used to enter up to 40 commands which send Bee-Bot forward, back, left, and right. Pressing the green GO button starts Bee-Bot on its way. Bee-Bot blinks and beeps at the conclusion of each command to allow children to follow Bee-Bot through the program they have entered and then confirms its completion with lights and sound. Children want to use Bee-Bot over and over and are inspired to enter ever more creative and complex command sequences. Bee-Bot moves in 6″ steps and 90 degree turns.
There are a variety of maps for Bee-Bot to explore that include numbers , letters, shapes and fairytale landmarks.
Through these play experiences children are practicing team work, collaboration and peer teaching as they help their friends as well as literacy and numeracy skills.
Bee-Bot is a great resource to support the development of computing skills:
- Introduction to sequencing and control
- Develops positional and directional language(for example: up, down, left, right, on and in)
- Program sequences and repetitions
- Understand algorithms
- Design, write and debug programs
- Detect and correct errors in programs
- Supports development of fine motor skills
- Practice spatial reasoning (mentally picturing and manipulating objects)
Developing these STEM related skill in a early child care setting builds a strong foundation for a child’s future education in which STEM is playing a larger role.
If you’d like anymore information about Bee-Bot or STEM activities please feel free to contact us here at the Rumpus Room.